Hi Emmanuel,

On 2019-03-19, Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2019-03-19 12:52, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
>> Defining a symbolic function seems to declare its arguments.
>
> I tend to think that everything on the left of the '=' sign in an
> assignment is stuff that is assigned to. So
>
>    (a, b, c) = range(3)
>
> assigns to a, b and c.
>
>    R.<x> = ZZ[]
>
> assigns to R and x.
>
>    func(x) = x
>
> assigns to func and x.
>
> So in this sense, it's expected.

Some addition: While the first example
   (a,b,c) = range(3)
is standard Python behaviour, the other examples work because Sage uses
a preparser to make it possible to use nicer syntax in maths:
   f(x) = x^2
is a lot more concise and easier to understand for non-programmers than
   __tmp__=var("x"); f = symbolic_expression(x**Integer(2)).function(x)
(which is what the preparser makes of it).

Best regards,
Simon