Hi Steve,

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 11:55:45 AM UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM 'SteveJJ' via sage-support
> <sage-s...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > I saved a session when using sage 8.0.
> >
> > When I try to load that session into sage 8.8, I get errors such as:
> >
> > RuntimeError: invalid pickle data
> > ValueError: unknown matrix implementation 'flint' over Symbolic Ring
> >
> > The full error output is below.
> >
> > Am I missing some packages or do I need to somehow convert the session
> file?
>
> I don't think that sage/load_session is guaranteed w.r.t. any kind of
> backward/forward compatibility.
> It relies on internals being unchanged, which is certainly not the
> case from one Sage version to another.

If I understand correctly, saving/loading individual objects is supposed to
be backwards compatible. But saving whole sessions (which I never tried and
even didn't know that it exists in Sage, btw.) probably not. There are
systems (such as GAP), in which one can save the whole session but cannot
save individual objects; that's a flawed approach, IMHO.

Best regards,
Simon