On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 4:39:12 PM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 2:22:49 PM UTC-7, Antonio Rojas wrote:
>>

>> El miércoles, 1 de julio de 2020, 21:06:43 (UTC+2), John H Palmieri
>> escribió:
>>>

>>> Why so many deprecation warnings? I think they're coming from plain
>>> Python; why doesn't Python print the warnings?
>>>

>> Because python ignores deprecation warnings,
>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/warnings.html#default-warning-filter
>>

> Thanks, that's helpful. But why does Sage print the warning so many times?
> If I turn on Python's deprecation warnings, I just see one warning message,
> not six of them.

I guess this is in turn an IPython thing, although I don't know why IPython
prints the warning 6 times, and also repeats my original command. With
warnings enabled, I evaluated '\i' once:

% PYTHONWARNINGS=always sage --ipython
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: '\i'<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
In [1]: '\i'
<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
<input>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape sequence \i
<ipython-input-1-aeb68ac32d93>:1: DeprecationWarning: invalid escape
sequence \i
  '\i'
Out[1]: '\\i'