As far as building from source is concerned, I'd recommend using
Homebrew, instead of trying
to build most packages from scratch (as it is the case if you don't use it).
Please pay attention that you need to run

source .homebrew-build-env

and to the list of packages you'd install printed out by ./configure
(at the end of its run)

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 6:18 AM phiparis19 <ph.mig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading from SageMath-9.1 to SageMath-9.2,
>
> ./sage -n jupyter fails
>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_ssl'
>
> The Jupyter notebook requires ssl, even if you do not use https. Install the
> openssl development packages in your system and then rebuild Python (sage -f
> python3).
>
> Unfortunately,  openssl installation has failed :
>
> [openssl-1.1.1g] Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:

> [openssl-1.1.1g] ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>
> [openssl-1.1.1g] clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v
> to see invocation)
>
> Same issue when recompiling sage from sage-9.2.tar.gz
>
> ./configure --enable-openssl=yes
>
> make
>
> [patch-2.7.5] ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>

> I have macports and hombres installed
>
> So I dit
>
>  sudo mv /opt/local /opt/local_old
>
> sudo mv /usr/local/Homebrew /usr/local/Homebrew_old

Unless you use a non-standard installaI don't think you achieve much
by the latter, as Homebrew installs several packages directly into
/usr/local (i.e. /usr/local/bin, etc), so this is more or less just
breaks Homebrew, but is very far from uninstalling it.