I'd suspect the problem is not the ray tracing but the description of the
object. Probably, `parametric_plot` produces a description of your shape
with tubular segments and with a min_depth=20 it probably produces *very*
many of them. So you probably don't get to ray tracing: you're stuck in
computing the description of the scene. With smaller numbers for min_depth
and max_depth it produces a picture very quickly and with no visible
artifacts.

The interface with Tachyon probably ends up constructing the input to
Tachyon (which is a text-file description) as a big string in memory, so a
scene with very many geometric shapes would indeed pose a significant
memory strain (Tachyon would be similarly strained to work with such a
description).