I presume you use Homebrew - can you install Homebrew's openblas
rather than build it?
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/HEAD/Formula/openblas.rb
says that M1 is supported.

By the way, at the end of ./configure run you'd see messages saying
what you can install on your system/distro, instead of bulding.
(It would be interesting to see this output for us too, could you post it here?)