> On May 5, 2022, at 21:04 , Tracy Hall <h.tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The following two lines crash the kernel in 9.5 but not 9.4:
>
> xx = vector(GF(2), [])
> xx * xx
>
> It works correctly (with answer 0) over other finite fields or over QQ.
>
> Installation is Sagemath 9.5 in Ubuntu running under WSL for Windows; tested
> also in CoCalc Sagemath 9.5 (where it crashes) and CoCalc Sagemath 9.4 (where
> it correctly produces 0).

I can confirm that if I run these two lines, the following happens:

9.4 (built locally, from scratch): the printed result is 0

9/.5 (the version supplied by Marc Culler): SIGSEGV [a segmentation fault in
sage] no traceback supplied

I am running on an iMac Pro (18 core Xeon), with macOS 10.13.6.

I assume by “the kernel” you mean Sage, not the linux kernel.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large