On Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 1:55:45 AM UTC+8 Nils Bruin wrote:

> The "GO" mentioned here should correspond to the O(3;1) (or perhaps O(1;3)
> ) mentioned in the wikipedia article.

Do you mean that these two ways of writing are a matter of convention?

> The problem with the "real numbers" is that representing many elements
> exactly in it is complicated. For many algebraic questions, you can
> probably get away with considering the group over Q (or some finite
> extensions).

The Lorentz group is a physical problem, not just a pure algebraic problem, so,
I am not sure whether this simplified treatment can meet the needs of the
problem in any case.

> I'm not entirely sure if the connected component SO^+ is readily
> implemented in sage.
>
> "creation" of a mathematical object (particularly an infinite one) is a
> rather relative notion anyway: technically speaking
>
> class LorentzGroup:
>     pass
>
> can be passed off as a class whose instances represent the Lorentz group:
> there are just many features that haven't been implemented (yet). It's
> probably worth checking if the object described above meets your needs.

You only gave the above two lines of code, so I don't know what you mean
here.

If not, then describing a little more about what you need might help an
> expert in giving you further tips.

Yours,
Hongyi