On Sat, 11 Feb 2023 at 21:31, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> we have 9.8 now :-)
> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/releases

Okay, I'm trying again.

It seems an unusual build process.
* There's a configure.ac, but no configure script.
* I typed make, which then builds a configure script, and exits with an
error message, telling one to run configure.
* The configure script suggested I added some packages, which I did.
* I run "make distclean" with the intention of starting fresh. But noticed
"make distclean" did not delete the configure script it had built earlier.
So it seems "make distclean" is not really working in the usual way.

I'm just running

make -j ptestlong

I don't know if that's still the way to run the tests. This is a reasonably
quick machine (52 cores), so I should be able to get though the tests
quickly if they run in parallel

After I'd written everything above, I just see your message about github.
I'll do that if I get any more issues.

Dave