On Saturday 28 September 2024 at 12:05:52 UTC-7 fqgo...@colby.edu wrote:

I wonder whether the result of ?min might mention the existence of
min_symbolic, and similarly for max. When the first attempt failed, I
looked at what ?min said, and didn't get much out of it. Had it mentioned
"see also min_symbolic" or something of the kind, that would have been a
clue.

It can't: it's a python built-in and its docstring is the standard
python-provided one. In that context there is no min_symbolic. A web search
for "sage min function" does yield
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/functions/sage/functions/min_max.html

as one of the top results, so such searches may be a work-around for the
less-than-complete documentation we get from building on a general-purpose
computer language.