I spotted this info on the newsgroup rec.arts.anime.misc, thanks for
reading, arigato
Stéphane Dumas

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Baranyi<anthony.bara...@bell.net>
Date: 12 avr, 21:53
Subject: Spring 2012 Anime Season Week 2 - more thoughts
To: rec.arts.anime.misc

I've now watched the first episode of all of the remaining new Spring
2012 anime
series that I intended to try out. This week there were 5 shows with
potential
and two immediate duds.

“Nazo no Kanojo X”, aka, “Mysterious Girlfriend x” - this was another very
strong first episode adaptation of a very odd manga. What we have here is
Riichi Ueshiba of “Yume Tsukai” fame creating a strange near-fantasy about a
high school couple who are drawn to each other by saliva. The manga has been
going on for years, and it doesn't appear to be near to finishing, so
it's hard
to say where the anime may go. But the first episode captured the
quirkiness of
the early manga chapters very well. My initial rating is: A.

“Upotte!” - Ha – I've already forgotten what this p.o.s. was about. Oh yeah,
assault rifles that are teenaged girls. (Someone else can try to explain
this.)
Lowbrow comedy, lots of fan service, nothing resembling originality –
yes this
one will likely be a big hit. My final rating is: C-.

“Tasogare Otome x Amnesia”, aka, “Dusk Maiden of Amnesia” - the third
currently
running very odd manga series that I'm following that is being turned
into an
anime. The first episode avoided simply copying the manga and instead
set up the
characters by mixing together parts of several early story lines,
similar to the
opening of “Natsu no Arashi”. And similar again to N no A, we have a
long dead
ghost who this time is haunting a high school, and the boy who decides
to find
out the ghost's past. This is also a long-running manga series with no
sign of
an end in sight, so there is no way of telling where this anime will go
either.
My initial rating is: A.

As an aside; I find it interesting that we have three
Very-Strange-Girlfriend
series this season. Sankarea has a zombie, Nazo no Kanojou X has a girl
who can
tell feelings and see dreams by tasting her boyfriend's saliva, and Tasogare
Otome x Amnesia has a ghost girlfriend. I find all three manga series to be
utterly captivating and I have bought the tankoubans for all three, am
getting
the monthly mangas for the first two, and I may start getting the
monthly “phone
book” for the third.

“Hiayore! Nyaruko-san” - if the subsequent episodes have as much energy and
fast-talk as the first this kooky fantasy satire will be impossible to
marathon.
Is it good? Well, ... Is it entertaining? Well... But it's not bad. My
initial
rating is: C+.

“Sakamichi no Apollon”, aka, “Kids on the Slope” - this Noitamina
slice-of-life
series has one good thing going for it – it is about kids learning about
jazz in
the 60s. It also has two bad things going against it – the Opening and
Ending
themes. How can a story that is about jazz in the 60s have such maudlin,
poorly
performed, and un-jazz-like OP and ED songs?! There is only one word that
describes them – CRAP!!! My initial rating (despite the OP&  ED) is: B.

“Tsuritama” - Perhaps the sleeper of the season, this strange fantasy
about four
boys brought together by fishing and a talking fish has an animation
look to it
that resembles that of “Mawaru Penguindrum”. (The first episode reminded
me why
I don't like to teach raw beginners how to fish...) It also has one of the
hottest obaa-sans in an anime in a long time. My initial rating is: A-.

“Shining Hearts – Shiawase no Pan” - Gawd that was dull... That was like
a dull
opening for a dull game... And yes, I know it is based upon a game, but
give me
a break - couldn't they come up with anything beyond derivative fluff?
What this
needed was a nasty sense of humor - like having the Kyube thing turn into a
tentacle monster after eating the bread. Life's too short – my final
rating is:
D.

Dave Baranyi

Shortcut URL to Yahoo! Groups' SUML page:
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: