Dear Saligaonettekara,

On Tuesday 19 July 2011 04:41 PM, allwyn de Souza wrote:

  *_EDUCATE  AND  ERADICATE_*

Dear Rico ,
Here is my very small suggestion which could help us all . Maybe
someothers will have better suggestions to add to this :

   1. Leaving behind the MOI issue the education dept. should
      compulsorily begin educating every child no matter which
      linguistic group/background he/she comes from about the dangers of
      garbage menace / plastic waste .
   2. Compulsorily this topic must be introduced as part of their
      curriculum / environmental studies
   3. Instead of giving them science projects which most often are
      irrelevant to the childs future – they must be given projects such
      as creating garbage awareness both at home and in ones own
      neighbourhood , etc. Higher classes could be given a project like
      building a compost pit and segregation of garbage etc. The manure
      from compost can be used to grow household vegetables / fruit
      trees etc .
   4. Each child can go around educating / informing their people first
      at home and then in their own neighbourhood about the importance
      of proper garbage disposal . A little notebook can be given to the
      student to get signatures from every family/ person /
      establishment they have contacted . Marks can be given accordingly.
   5. In the past people carried their own shopping bags to the market –
      now they go empty handed and sometimes return with their shopping
      items in as many plastic bags as their fingers can carry.
   6. Local bodies should be given more funds to conduct garbage
      collection . Garbage bags/ bins must be provided .Fines must be
      imposed for burning of hazardous plastic waste , throwing of
      garbage in open fields / hills , etc.
   7. Garbage right now is creating a big nuisance and causing trouble ,
      in future this trouble will definitely double, unless we educate
      and eradicate !

yours environmentally,

Allwyn de Souza

One of the most intelligent, practical and down-to-earth responses both to the MOI isssue and the garbage problem on the hill, we have come across in recent times!

It is so unfortunate that we parents are *fighting* for the wrong choices. We are allowing the government to shove down our throats - without so much as a peek from us - an entire education system with its inane content, that is totally out of sync with the actual world we live in. Very, very few realise that in fact, we have *no choice whatsoever* over these equally, if not more important aspects of our education system all over the country. And yet we are so proud of our *freedom of choice!*

We realised that the only real freedom we have is to subjugate our children to the present education system, so irrelevant to the Goa/India we live in...or to 'homskool'. Alas, not everyone is in a position to trod the less beaten, but more difficult path.

Allwyn's post is prophetic! This is what real education is all about. In any MOI.

It is the kind of creative and very practical thinking we need if we want an alternative to our heritage garbage dump on the hill. And an alternative education system.

Allwyn, we need you and others like you on board, re baba! Join us when you have the time. Every teeny-weeny, little contribution helps. Will keep you in the loop. Also, keep in touch with any of the people listed above.

Warm regards and much solid(waste)arity...strictly according to the Solid Waste Management Rules, 2000!

M&M.

there *is* anOTHERgoa
at <http://www.anothergoa.blogspot.com>
& <http://www.youtube.com/anothergoa>