In order to classify the arguments better , may I suggest differentiating
matters that are

LEGAL

and those that are

LEGALIZED (or Legalised)

I will desist  copy / pasting from a dictionary , but urge people to look-up
the definition , especially of the latter.

Ashley, you have been the front runner in obtaining information under RTI
against many illegal projects, and we have spent a lot of time going through
this, and seen how things were being LEGALIZED. Saldly, in Goa , there are only
shades of grey from illegal to legalized and then to Legal . Aldeia de Goa
complex is a sterling example.

To give examples of such "legalization" in our own village

1. 6 mtr roads - were created and LEGALIZED

2. GADDOS and KIOSKS that are now grouted into the ground and have electricity
etc are LEGALIZED

3. The home next to Vincy Cordeiro - which is being "renovated", adding a over
20 bathrooms, swimming pool etc - WILL be LEGALIZED in due course. Through the
permission for the moment is NON- COMMERCIAL, it seems inevitable that the it
will turn into a HOTEL.

4. The petrol pump across the crematorium WILL BE , if not already LEGALIZED.

and the list goes on and on......

The Assistant Director of panchayat has a reputation for over-riding Panchayat
decisions and assisting in such (legalizing) processes. His endorsement of the
tower, would cast further suspicion , if anything.

Ashley,

- Do you seriously expect us to believe that the tower is completely legal and
no bribes were given to legalize it ???  15th Dec - application, 15 Dec
Panchayat meeting, 15 Dec - NOC !!??

- Will you be able to come with us shoulder-to-shoulder in future , when we are
trying to stop the next illegal construction / structure / project that comes
up ?

- Being the owner of the land, can your conscience absolve you from the moral
responsibility of what is happening in your property ?

- Will you always shirk away when the heat is too much and say that you have
nothing to do with the project , and that one should talk to Cyril ?( who has
conspicuously stayed away from making any firm statements or showing any
document )

- Are the "documents" not being shown since they are under the "legalizing"
process ?

- Will you be able to live with the burden, should some adverse health effects
develop in the homes of your neighbours ?  (even if it is a freak coincidence)

You have said , that you are not doing this for commercial reasons, then PLEASE
tell us why you are undergoing this stress, when a large majority of your
friends, neighbours and villagers are BEGGING you not to permit the tower and
relocate it.   You said that it is a gift to the people of Saligao ! What if
the villagers think that the gift could be poisonous ?  should you still force
it down their throats ?

I (and surely the rest of us in Saligao) have had very high regards for you and
your father , who have boldly taken up issues in the village. Your zeal and
guts in spearheading the process of preparing the village level plan , shall
never be forgotten.  It is because of this very respect and affection, that
people are baffled that at  your disregarding the villagers' concerns and go
against a gram sabha resolution that was once taken, to keep any mobile tower
500 mts away from residential areas.

Forget the LEGAL and LEGALIZED , just do the RIGHT thing !  Why should you take
a chance ...?

Saligao cannot afford fragmentation in the team that needs to work harder
against illegalities to come.  (Even if the tower does come up...)

Sanjeev

--
Saligao-Net is at http://groups.google.com/group/saligao-net