Hello again,

I know that Saliganvkars are at present busy with the Tower etc.  However, I
have gleaned a little more information on "garbage" with regard to Panjim &
Miramar.  Perhaps this will be of use when we deal with the problem in the near
future.

The men & women sweeping & cleaning the roads & public areas in Panjim &
Miramar around 7.00 a.m. are not all Goans ... but by 11.30 a.m.  the roads are
littered again.....by whom? that is anybody's guess!  The workers are not
expected to be on the roads 24x7….cleaning…. whilst we litter the place eh?!!!
Same goes for Saligao......yet again, "civic sense" should come to the fore.

In the Complexes, the garbage is segregated into Wet Waste and Dry Waste.
Complexes have a pit (constructed) for their Wet Waste & the PMC (Panjim
Municipal Council) workers every morning check it out….they then move the
decayed waste from one pit to another until it turns to compost which is taken
away to be sold.  As I understand it, if there is no separate pit for Wet
Waste, the PMC refuse to clear the "garbage" & one can only guess at the stink
& mess the flat owners would be dealing with?

With regard to the Dry Waste. - every Complex has perhaps 5 bins including a
bin for medical waste (pampers/sanitory napkins, syringes etc).  The bins are
kept at the entrance of the Complex & are labelled accordingly.  Each Complex
is responsible for the proper segregation of their waste material and ensures
that garbage is properly segregated into the respective bins as the "Dry Waste"
 bins are cleared every Monday & Thursday.  If the garbage is not segregated
the PMC do not clear the garbage... pure & simple eh?

At one point in time, the  PMC had refused to clear the garbage from the
Hotels' area if said garbage was not segregated – Hotels were given an
ultimatum – "segregate the waste, else get rid of the same on your own".

Now I haven’t yet stayed in Panjim/Miramar for obvious reasons, though I do
belong to one of the Complexes there. People actually staying at present in
Panjim/Miramar would probably be able to give us a clearer picture & the
methods used so that the same can be followed by EveryBody (Saliganvkars) with
the Panchayat being the "police" Body???!!!

Annette