---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Saldanha <veg...@gmail.com>
Date: 10 April 2012 05:51
Subject: Re: [SALIGAONET] The *Entire* Brazil Study Is Here...
To: muriel&mario <another...@gmail.com>

Dear Mario & Muriel,

For generations, tobacco manufacturers managed to delay the results of
epidemiological studies regarding the cancer causing effects of tobacco, to
the fatal detriment of many smokers and, we are only recently finding
out... non-smokers via second-hand
smoke<http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/03/15/copd-kids-study.html>.
 That was because the tobacco lobby was huge, but it is only a fraction of
the cell phone lobby, currently using every trick in the book to lure new
users and increase online time for profit.

There is no doubt that this technology has enhanced communication but at a
considerable social, psychological and (possibly) medical cost.  Cell phone
use is a personal choice (which can be restricted eg. on planes, in
theatres etc), location of a cell tower is a community choice (which can
also be restricted in their distance from residences).

There is usually no smoke without fire...and many fires like autism from
vaccines have been debunked.  However, the jury is still out on the
long-term effects of continuous low level radiation but the mounting
opposition to locating towers in residential areas is ample proof that
there are enough concerns to want to play it safe.

Most scientists, medical professionals and researchers have a vested
interest in technology and will be 'hog-tied' without radiation-generating
equipment.  I, too, am dependent on it as a function of the world I live in
but like the high radiation cathode-ray tubes in computer monitors that
have now largely given way to LCD screens, safer technologies are
constantly being developed.

Most of what I see (severely limited since leaving SaligaoNet) are strong
opinions that can be jaded by emotion.  I am concerned with the level of
animosity this issue has generated in Saligao and the base accusations
leveled at the messengers.  It appears that there is no formal process of
community consultation on these kinds of developments (the house built
right next to the fountain being another example) and the legal system is
being manipulated all the time.

There is more KNOWLEDGE to be sought and gained by independent studies, not
just on cell-phone use (we already know that there are issues there) but
with all equipment that generates radiation, including wireless phones and
appliances.

Where there is controversy, isn't it better to err on the side of caution?
Moving the tower will not compromise signal strength if properly done.
Where it stands right now will provide excellent reception and coverage to
most of Arrarim but at what cost?

In hindsight, hopefully the community has seen the need to have a
consultative process before such projects are allowed to proceed.  If we
could prevent the influx of billboards in Saligao (not sure if that is
still successful) then we can designate safe areas for telecommunication
towers.

I hope better sense will prevail but I won't be holding my breath.

Sincerely,

Kevin.
--
*"We did not inherit Abreu Vaddo/Saligao/Goa/the Earth from our ancestors,
we merely borrowed it from our children." - *Indigenous Wisdom

--
Saligao-Net is at http://groups.google.com/group/saligao-net