Such figures are going to be hard to come by. Saligao doesn't, as far as
one knows, have even a decent upto-date map of its own. (The one available
goes back to one century almost, and decorates the inside cover page of
the book on the village written in 1973, by Saligaonetter Valentine de
Souza's dad Patrocino and Alfred da Cruz).

Unless we build up data about our village, we will never understand it
adequately. What are the problems? What are the aspirations of the local
society? What initiatives could really make a difference? What can we do
to make the best positive impact on the future?

Unless we get this info, we'll be toying around with a global reality
which means little to our village. We'll continue to remain a 'downloading
society' rather than becoming an 'uploading society', which can generate
useful information about itself, and make its presence felt at a wider
scale.

A dream? Maybe it's time for us to network with schools, parish, temples
and other institutions in the village, to get involved in some voluntary
activity of collecting such information. FN

--
Frederick Noronha    : http://www.fredericknoronha.net  Ph 0091.832.2409490
Freelance Journalist : http://www.bytesforall.org       Ph 0091.832.2409783