I wouldn't say that the fault is with individuals. Rather it is with the
lack of a system by which people are encouraged to write. Writing must
become a habit -- and an enjoyable activity -- or else we simply won't
have any writers around.

In a world of televised images, where it is far easier to become a
'downloading society' rather than an 'uploading' one, we need to remind
ourselves that writing our own stories is an important and self-defining
activity that is absolutely essential.

Above all, we need a mechanism to train young people to enjoy writing. If
this happense, we could have many younger generation journalists from
Saligao. If anyone is willing to undertake the organisational side, I am
willing to volunteer my time. This could bring in huge returns in the
years ahead.

As I always mention, one of the three reasons I became a journalist and
found a profession I enjoy is because of the Saligao Institute reading
room, especially the few magazines and papers (India Today, Times of
India) papers that came in in the 'seventies. FN