THE FIRST RAINS IN SALIGAO.

      Heavy rains lashed Saligao and surrounding areas on the evening of 30th May this year bringing much relief to the villagers reeling under the heat. It was the first rains of this season. It reminded me of  the  first heavy downpour in the past that  was immortalized in song by our  famous singer Mr. Oslando D’Sousa from Arrarim in his “ POILO PAUS”.

If my memory serves me right it was in 1948 that monsoons got delayed, and the elders attributed it to the sins of the people. They asked the young to pray for rains, saying that the prayers of the children are always answered by God. There was a picturesque procession of little children carrying stones on their head, invoking blessings of God and copious rain, in verse as they climbed the hill along with elders and went from cross to cross built by our ancestors on hills of Saligao They commenced their petition by accusing themselves of human frailty and pleaded for mercy. Mother Mary, St. Anthony, St Peter and other popular saints were addressed in song which consisted of 11 verses with an invocation to the Lord pleading for compassion This is what we sang in konkani.

Verse.

  1. Madavelea seva

Pausu ghal ga Deva.

2.Khodpa toucha  vinchu

  Pausu ghal ga Jezu.

3.Voile, voile, kaimgini

Pausu ghal ge Saibinni

4.Sant Anton altarar

Pausu ghal sounsarar

5.Sant Anton firngeagelo

   Pausu ghal Devagelo

6.Sant Anton manchea bettan

Paus ghal soglea xetan.

7. Sant Anton virgo

Iskolacho bhurgo

8.Kalli kombi tantiamchi

Saibinn Mai motiamchi

9.Sant Isabel Rani

Dimbi bhor panni.

 10 Sam Pedr Sam Paul chavi kadd..

Devache Maie, paus ghall

    11 Sam Miguel bodvo

         Pausu ghall todvo.

Ending: Chuklenv Somia, Kakut kor amchi somestanchi.

                                         Ode For Rain.

 Boil ailo levun gelo

Kiteak re boila levon geloi?

Bhatkarnin maka vaddlo nam

Kiteak ge bhatkan’ni vadlo naim?

Pik maka piklenam

Kiteak go pika piklenaim?

Paus maka podlonam.

Kiteak re pausa poddlonaim?

Manko maka roddlonam

Kiteak re mankea rodlo naim?

Menk… menk… menk…menk.”.

                                                       Compiled by Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas.

Notes & References.

 PEREIRA, Angelo,: In “Goa Remembered, Vignettes of Fading Traditions”, Bombay, 1995, p. 47