JUST BACK FROM the Saligao Institute, after revisiting a topic we've
discussed many times in the past. The library and the reading habit, which
is so important to our younger generation (and us too).

        Thanks to Blanche Saldanha's persistence, over half-a-dozen
        team of (wo)manpower sat down to see what could be done to
        revitalise the reading habit and the library at the SI.

Incidentally, Saligaonet's Sanjeev Trivedi has taken over as
vice-president of the SI, in a team headed by Nelson Lobo (of the Arjun
Harmalkar-built Harmalkar Residency) and they're keen to do something to
rebuild activity in the club. While wishing them well, one feels that a
key point might be to build 'critical mass' over the current membership of
just around 200 members (many of whom might have migrated abroad). Life
membership is just a thousand rupees, one-time payment, so SaligaoNetters,
do take note....

        Getting back to the library, the new team with those
        volunteering to help in, would like to take a multi-pronged
        initiative. This woul include (i) seeking support to build
        both the books and the magazine sections (ii) making the
        reading section more lively and user-friendly (iii) having
        a 'reading hour' of stories for the very young children,
        tied to asking them questions about what is read out to them,
        and getting them involved in activities. Giselle, one of
        the young returned expats, came up with the last idea that
        sounds interesting... specially to build the reading habit
        at a very young age.

In the past, Frances (nee Cordeiro) in Canada and Val in Mumbai had
supported the magazine plans. If anyone would like to do so this time
round, please get in touch.

Secondly, I'm sure Sanjeev will shortly put out an appeal for new members,
in an attempt to spark off more activities in the club. SaligaoNetters,
please consider the Rs 1000 life-membership. It covers dependents in your
family too. Good value for money in these inflation-prone days, specially
if all of us could tie-in to see higher activity levels.

        Library volunteers decided to meet next Wednesday, July 14,
        to take stock of the books available. Send in your
        suggestions and support to Giselle at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BTW, by tapping support via the Internet, we've been able to support the
magazine section at Lourdes Convent for the past 3-4 years in a row. The
Goa government is talking about offering support to village libraries.
Wonder if our MLA could work on helping this becoming a possibility in
Saligao too. FN