I was surprised to note that a search for Saligao in cyberspace threw up 5010 references on Yahoo.com while a similar search on another prominent search engine altavista.com threw up 3790 results.

SaligaoTinto featured quite high, at the top, while the http://saligao.co.uk website of Saligaokars in the UK was also rather high up in the search results.

Most were related to Saligao in Goa. But a few were widely off the mark -- there's apparently a surname called 'Saligao' in the Philippines! And I came across writer Victor Ribeiro's musings on Saligao which features in his book 'Tivolem'.

He explained the process followed in writing his book: "Did I rely on my memories, or do research as well? I did rely on my memories a great deal; but when it came to the setting, I not only took care to revisit Goa eight times and live weeks at a time in Porvorim, revisiting Saligao, but I crisscrossed the entire state at each visit, taking in the "sossegado" atmosphere ..."

Victor Rangel Ribeiro continues: "A major problem: Having fixed on 1933 as the date, I had to establish it firmly for the reader; and in trying to establish the "sossegado" atmosphere for Tivolem the village, I had to point to the turmoil in the rest of the world. To do this I relied again on my memories: a group of older men, including my father, his friend from the Gulf, and occasionally the vicar, used to meet on a tiny bridge that spanned a nullah on the way to the Saligao church. What did they discuss? I haven't any firsthand knowledge, and my father as well as his fellow participants and disputants are now beyond my reach, carrying on their sessions in the spirit world; but I assume that they discussed major world events and some local news. So I devised a series of chapters starting with January 1933 and going on through September, and at the Central Library in Panjim I went through issues of the leading Goan dailies for the last week of the preceding month and the first week of the month in question. So the talk is sometimes of Hitler and sometimes of Himalayan expeditions; of Japan's incursions into China and the Portuguese Governor-General's attempts to tax the Goan people."

Just thought of sharing this with you. FN