Hi Annette: Thanks for your query. Actually, a lot of things are going on in Saligao. People may not write about the same often enough, but efforts are underway all the same. A brief and incomplete listing:

* Teresa Trinidade of Sonarbhat is into some initresting initiatives
  which need to be appreciated. She set up an NGO called COOJ, which
  tries to help the underpriviledged in rather innovative ways.
  Wish she was on email so that we could interest directly.

        * Saligao Institute, a team of ladies is working hard on the
          library and reading room. It includes Blanche Saldanha,
          Giselle Lobo, Marjorie (of Donvaddo), and others. They
          plan to start a magazines reading section soon.

* At Lourdes Convent, the alumni is also working on various ideas.
  Including felictating the old teachers, hold career guidance
  talks for current students, supporting an audio-visual room,
  and looking towards long-term plans of having a National Open
  School centre at the school (to minimise the dropout problem).

        * The school itself is working, apart from other things,
          to get more youngsters involved in sporting activity.
          It's nice to see the young ones play at the school
          each evening. The indoor playing area allows both boys
          and girls to go in for badminton, table-tennis,
          and the other day I was pleasantly surprised to see
          four kids silently playing chess there. (Someone should
          introduce them to the computer version of the game,
          specially good on GNU/Linux, which would allow them to
          test their wits against a sharp computer!)

* At Muddavaddi, the Sporting Club continues with its gym and other
  activities. Like the Saligao Institute, I think this institution too
  is plagued by a shortage of critical mass, by way of active members.
  Or just members. Perhaps we Saligaonetters could seriously think of
  helping to enhance the membership base of such institutions in the
  village. But not being much of a sporting type, I know too little
  to comment about the Sporting Club. Maybe we could get more details
  from someone who knows better.

        * Gisele Lobo, one of those who resettled young back in
          the village, was mentioning the idea of having a
          story-telling club for children. I think it would work
          great, specially for the young ones. Lots of things
          to be tried out and worked on.

* I met Uncle Seby (D'Cruz) of Arrarim the other day. He broached
  the idea of having quizzes and debates for high school and
  college students. It's nice to see an octogenarian so active and
  enthusiastic. If only we could get the critical mass in terms of
  numbers ... the skills and energies are already there.

        * A lot of other individuals are involved in many activities
          we know so little about. Ashley Delaney, Ashley Lobo,
          Derek Cordeiro, Luke (of Sonarbhat) in computers. With
          many more. Nicholas Sequeira with his beautiful garden,
          Shannon with her exotic plants, Yvonne with career
          counselling. Shannon also offered to hold a graphics
          design workshop at Lourdes Convent sometime in the
          holidays. We could have similar 'hobby clubs' in
          journalists and photography too. There are those who
          are good in table-tennis and other sports -- Sanjiv
          Trivedi, Alfie, and many more. This list is far, far
          from complete. Limited by my lack of awareness.

Perhaps a separate listing of all the talent in the village would go a long way in understanding what skills and talents are available, and how best we can tap the same.

FN
Frederick Noronha (FN)    Near Convent, SALIGAO 403511 GOA India
Freelance Journalist      Tel: +91-832-2409490 MOBILE: 9822122436
fred at bytesforall.org   fredericknoronha at vsnl.net
http://www.livejournal.com/users/goalinks (GoaLinks Blog)
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.culture.region.india.goa (Goanet)