Another June 2007 article, which I only just noticed while checking
the Saligao-related news online. Might be of interest to those with a
political interest :-) FN

http://www.navhindtimes.com/articles.php?Story_ID=060835

Willy blames Sena, MGP for BJP's Saligao victory

NT Staff Reporter

Panaji, June 7 The outgoing deputy chief minister and ousted Saligao
MLA, Dr Wilfred de Souza has said that the absence of Shiv Sena and a
strong Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party led to the consolidation of
votes in favour of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) causing it to win
the Saligao seat this time.

In an interview to The Navhind Times, Dr de Souza said that in
contrast, the votes of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) were split
three ways between the NCP, the Save Goa Front and the Independent
candidate, Mr Trajano D'Mello much to the detriment of the NCP.

Dr de Souza has represented Saligao constituency ever since it was
formed after statehood and the first elections were held in 1989. The
high point of Dr de Souza's career according to him is that he has
been the chief minister of Goa three times.

Despite his loss, Dr de Souza was upbeat about the gains of his party.
"In the 2002 elections, I was alone. In the mid-term elections, we
became two. Now we have three MLAs. The NCP has been progressively
increasing its numbers,'' Dr de Souza said. When asked whether he saw
a role for himself in Goan politics now, Dr de Souza said he did not
know yet. "I don't know. I will rest awhile and take a decision later.
Maybe I will take a tour or something to regain my vitality. I am not
young anymore,'' he said.

Dr de Souza enumerated a few issues, which he said the new government
should ardently pursue. He expressed much concern about the pending
work of the removal of the stranded ship -- the River Princess. He
said the work on the River Princess is going on even now. When the
engineers got the bottom of the ship, they discovered that a portion
of the ship's bottom was missing. They have now fixed that missing
part. Dr de Souza said he has instructed the Tourism Director to call
a press conference and inform the media about the exact status of the
removal work.

Dr de Souza said the government should also urgently address the issue
of garbage disposal in Goa. When he was in power, he had initiated a
programme to convert Goa's "waste into wealth,'' he said explaining
that the 400 tonnes of daily waste in Goa could be converted to 10
megawatts of power by incinerating the waste. He hoped the new
government would pursue that programme and several other programmes
including the work of underground electricity cabling in Goa.

When asked for his observations on the outcome of elections 2007, Dr
de Souza did a quick recap of the results. "The Congress had 16 seats
last elections, this time they got 16. The BJP had 17 seats last time,
they lost three and got 14. The NCP had one seat, now it has three,
while the UGDP which had three, now has only one. The Save Goa Front
was not there, it now has two seats. Last elections, there was one
independent in Felipe Neri, now there are two independents. People
wanted a change, they got change,'' Dr de Souza said.

--
Frederick Noronha http://fn.goa-india.org Ph +91-832-2409490
Links from Goa: http://goalinks.livejournal.com/