IT WAS 10.10 AM

By A. J. D'Cruz

[A.J.D'Cruz's life was featured in C.
Hubert D'Souza's book 'Sloreata Saligao',
which features profiles of eminent people
from this North Goa village. It is
reproduced here with AJD's account of the
Burma Trek, contributed by his
grand-daughter Patsy Menezes. A.J .D'Cruz
passed away in 1959.]

[Patsy Menezes, who contributed the
article by her grandfather A.J D'Cruz as
well as the pages from his diary, is a
retired teacher living in the family home
at 250/1 Mohan Nagar, Nagpur 440001 with
her eldest sister Muriel and cousin
Bertram.]

On December 23, 1941, the Japanese came over early at 10.10
a.m and started bombing Rangoon . My son was living in
Thompson Street and parked all around his house were the
motor trucks which used to ply between Rangoon and
China[LaTeX Command: index] carrying all materials including
arms for the use of the Chinese forces.

The Japanese planes spotted the trucks from the air and
became furious like bulls spotting a red rag. They bombed the
trucks indiscriminately, making them turn into something like
matchboxes.

Unfortunately, however, one of the bombs fell on the upper
storey of the house in which my son was living. It passed
through the roof, upper storey flooring, and burst on the
ground floor in the midst of the family, killing my son and
his family consisting of six members.

All were killed, but my son was alive until he reached the
hospital ; he died on admission. On hearing this news I left
my house with all my children and grandchildren and shifted
to Ady Road and remained there for 17 days, thinking that the
Japs would go away or be driven away; but nothing of the kind
happened.

The Japanese continued to bomb Rangoon day and night and
promises held out by the Burma Government were never
fulfilled.

Eventually, at the request of my son Victor, we all migrated
to Mawlaik on January 7, 1942, leaving behind Arnold and
Robert, who had to recover all valuable papers and jewellery
which were deposited in the strong room of the Mercantile
Bank , along with the valuables of A. Fraser Ltd. I also left
the car which was to be used by them in case the Railway
services were interrupted.

We arrived at Monywa  the following day and the Civil Surgeon
of the place Dr. Crane met us at the station, at the request
of my son, Victor. He took us to his house and made us
comfortable till 10.30 p.m when he accompanied us to the
ferry boat that plied between Monywa and Mawlaik.

We arrived at Mawlaik  on the third day after leaving Monywa
, and Victor came on the boat and took us to his house where
we made our stay for three months, again thinking that the
Japanese would go away.

As the days and months passed, we found however that it was a
real conquest of Burma.The Japanese bombed and took every
town and township. When they took Mandalay and were planning
to take Monywa , there was no more safety for us; so I
decided to evacuate to India.

I registered myself and all my children to proceed to India
in the next convoy used for Europeans.  Within a few days,
the evacuation officer turned up in the morning and said that
the convey was leaving at 11 a.m. that day, and if we wanted
to go with the family we had better get ready and be at the
steamer docks by 10.30 a.m.

No futher enquiries were made as to who was going to pay our
passages or what we would get to eat during the journey. All
we were concerned about was to get away safely.

We left by the steamboat and arrived at a place called Yuwa
 at 6 p.m., where a camp was opened out and arrangements for
sleeping, accommodation and food were made by the Government. We
slept there soundly and were detained for two days for want of
transport to carry us further.

The following morning, about 60 evacuees who were at the head
of the list were picked out and sent further, in poling
boats. My daughter-in-law Ida was eight months pregnant and
in a bad state of health. When I found that she was not
included among those leaving, I got alarmed as there was no
help in case she got ill in the jungle, so I explained to the
camp evacuation officer.

To our good luck, there were two European ladies who were
professional nurses and were also evacuating. I begged of
them to let my daughter-in-law also share their boat.  When
they were told that she was Mrs. Cruz, the Civil Surgeon 's
wife, they told me that they would take her and attend to all
her wants.

They took her in their boat which left  Yuwa that same day. I
left after two days in similar boats and was told at some
camps where I stayed that the European s nurses carried my
daughter-in-law in a chair from the boat to the camp because
she could not climb up. I believe on arrival at Imphal , Ida
got bad, and they took her to the State hospital . When the
doctor said there was no danger, they took her to Bombay and
gave her over to her parents there.

Now about Arnold and Robert, who remained behind in Rangoon.
They tried to get out the documents which had been deposited
in the Chartered Bank strong room along with those belonging
to A.  Fraser Ltd. But the bombing was continuous and they
took a month to secure the documents with the help of my
son's assistant H.  Kelly.

By this time, Robert obtained a ticket for himself and went
to Akyab where his parents were. Arnold was left alone and
had to frighten off the goondas who used to attack the house
daily. After Arnold secured the documents the next job was to
get away from Rangoon . At this time, the railway station was
wiped out of existence and the train service between Rangoon
and Mandalay had stopped.

In spite of these difficulties, he had to find his way to us
at Mawlaik. He had the car at his disposal but no petrol
could be got anywhere. He went all over in search of petrol,
but without success. Finally he went to the port
commissioner's warehouse and godown. There he met an old
acquaintance who asked him what he wanted. The godown keeper
when he was told that Arnold wanted petrol said, ``Help
yourself to as much as you want. There is no owner for all
this property.''

Arnold filled his tank and took away 30 tins of two gallons
each, took the cook in the car and left Rangoon for Mawlaik ,
travelling by day only. He took the road from Rangoon to
Prome thence to Magwe, Yenangyaung, and Mandalay, crossed the
Ava Bridge to Sagaing and arrived at Monywa. Here he had to
abandon the car and the remaining tins of petrol because
there was no further road beyond Monywa.

At Monywa , he went to the ferry boat which plies between
Monywa and Mawlaik. The boat was so overcrowed due to the
great rush of Indian evacuees and the confusion that
prevailed there, that she sailed for a small distance and got
stuck in the mud. She remained in that position for some
days. In the meantime Arnold spied a motor boat coming
towards Monywa. He shouted and was told that it belonged to
the Deputy Commissioner, Mawlaik . Then he told the serang
that he (Arnold) was the brother of Dr. D'Cruz, the Civil
Surgeon , and asked that he be taken on board, to which the
serang agreed. To our great surprise, they arrived at Mawlaik
the following day, while we were having lunch. As the whole
family and my grandchildren Donald and Muriel were together,
we remained at Mawlaik for three months.

While at Mawlaik , I was much worried and unhappy for obvious
reasons. When in Rangoon I was in the habit of visiting the
church every evening, but from the time I arrived at Mawlaik
I found there was no church nor was there any hope of meeting
any priest in those parts.

We wrote to the Bishop of Mandalay, but he said he found
difficulty in carrying on the church services even at his
headquarters at Mandalay for want of priests. The thought
that there was no church nor any priest to console me in my
affliction worried me.The loss I sustained with the death of
my son and his family, and also the loss of my house and all
it contained, touched my heart very deeply. It was a home
made and sanctified by me to spend the remainder of my life
in and for which reason I had disposed of my ancestral
property in India and the proceeds had been invested in this
house in Rangoon . I had gathered nothing from my house at
the time of my evacuation

While at Mawlaik, I used to meet all Goan and Anglo-Indian
evacuees passing through. One day, a Goan lady, rather old
and ill, arrived along with her daughter and daughter-in-law.
They could not proceed further so they took up a room in the
bazaar quarter. When I heard of their arrival I went in
search of them and found them.

The old woman was in a bad state of health. Her name was Mrs.
D'Souza and she was related to the Cherons of Rangoon. Her
son Daniel was in the health department and was working under
my son Victor at this time. Her son was away, so also my son,
attending to the thousands of evacuees who were going to
India by the Kalewa -Tamu Road.

I asked Dr. Reddy, Assistant Surgeon of the hospital, to
attend to the old woman. He reported that she would not live
for more then three days and charged those people five rupee
s for his visit. After this my son returned, I told him all
about the woman. He brought her to the hospital and
accommodated the daughter and daughter-in-law in a building
vacated by one of the nurses who was on leave. The old woman
died in three days and her body was moved to the nurses'
quarters.

Now there was no undertaker there to do the needful for the
disposal of the body and the two young women could do
nothing. So I made enquiries and one Mr. Edwards offered to
help me. He brought some Burmese carpenters who made a long
box to be used as a coffin. I inquired and found that there
was a Christian burial ground at Mawlaik in which several
Europeans of the B.B.T.C. Ltd (Bombay Burma Trading
Corporation) were buried. I obtained the necessary permission
from the Deputy Commissioner's office, paid for the ground
and for digging the grave, invited all Christians from the
evacuees ' camp and carried on the funeral prayers myself
according to the daily Missal and buried the woman. Some 30
evacuees attended the funeral.

While at Mawlaik, two weddings took place. In both cases the
brides were Catholics. We tried to get a priest from Mandalay
but did not succeed, so I gave the Deputy Commissioner my
Daily Missal and he carried on the services as laid down
therein.

One wedding took place on Good Friday. This could not be
helped as the bridegroom was going away to join his post
early the following morning. The reception of one wedding was
kept in the Circuit House and that of the other in the
Mawlaik Club. For both the weddings, all local officials and
their families were invited. We managed to get a piano and
violin and I played several dance pieces and all the guests
danced and enjoyed themselves. Refreshments were plentiful
and everybody had a good time.

As mentioned earlier, for want of transport we were detained
at Yuwa for two days. After that, boats were brought and the
remaining evacuees left at 7 a.m. four evacuees in each boat.

Between Yuwa  and Hlezeik, a distance of 35 miles, the poling
boats took three days. Camps were provided by Government at
stages of 12 miles each and in these camps sleeping
accommodation, dining rooms, and drinking water, boiled and
cooled, were provided.

On arrival at each stage we were served with a cup of tea and
then a plateful of rice and dahl twice a day at noon and at
night. This was sufficient to keep our bodies and souls
together. Moreover we did not have to worry ourselves about
food. It was cooked and served to each one.

Now I am giving the names of family members who left with me.
They were: myself, Winnie, Emily, Arnold, Donald, Muriel, and
Betram.

After completing the 35 mile journey, we arrived at Hlezeik.
Here a comfortable camp was made on a high plateau and we
remained there for three days. After that, we had to get onto
the Kalewa -Tamu road, a distance of 12 miles only. For the
first five miles we walked through a thick forest but the
next seven miles was an open country without any shade.

All the young people walked away, leaving my poor self
behind. I was 74 at that time. I walked and walked in the hot
sun from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. till my knees started giving way
and I could not use my legs anymore. The others left me far
behind.

I sat down near a small watercourse which had some water
running, under the shade of a small tree. After some time, a
gentleman named Lewis, a missionary of the Church of England,
belonging to our party, happened to pass by and asked me why
I was seated there. When I told him that I could not walk
anymore, he stood on the road and waited till a truck laden
with bamboo came up from Kalewa . He stopped the truck and
put me by the side of the driver and told him to take me to
Tamu .

It was only a distance of three or four miles. I told the
driver to drop me at the Tamu hospital. He did so and when
the doctor-in-charge came and questioned me, I told him who I
was and he took me to his house and gave me tea and biscuits
and reached me to the Tamu camp in his car.

At Tamu, we were detained for six days for want of coolies.
On the fourth day, the camp officer Mr Atkinson said that he
could not feed us any longer as the camp shelters were
required for new evacuees who were arriving at Tamu every
other day. He picked out young persons to trek the country
and in that list was Arnold, Donald and Emily, Muriel was
suffering from malaria and Winnie could not walk on account
of her foot, so these two were excluded.

I volunteered to go with them but was not allowed because of
my age. One Mrs. Fernandes, an Arakan ese lady, wife of a
telegraph official, appealed to Mr. Atkinson that she would
not be able to walk 46 miles carrying her partially crippled
nine-year-old son and asked to remain on till a doolie was
secured. Mr. Atkinson told her in reply to throw the boy into
the jungle . Finally, after six days, we left Tamu at 5 p.m.
and reached the first stage at around 9 p.m. Here we had rice
and dahl and slept.

I must state here that on account of my old age and Muriel's
fever, we were given one doolie which we used when needed.
The journey was uphill, one hill after another, and at one
stage our camp was pitched up on the top of a hill, and it
looked as if I could touch the moon at midnight when I got
out of bed.

The following morning, we started very early and after
completing two stages of about 12 miles each we reached the
highest point.  Here I noticed two sign boards which said,
`To Palel ' and `To Tamu '. We had arrived Tamu and would not
go to Palel . Here word was brought to me that my Winnie was
down the road and could not walk.

I sent my doolie to bring her up and paid the men Rs. 2. The
next journey of two miles was downhill; we did it in two days
and arrived at a village. Here we bought a kid goat and had
good khanna after many days.

When we were nearing Manipur  state, our pathway was blocked
by landslides and we had to climb up other hills to find new
paths. Finally we found that bulldozers were at work and had
made new roads leading to Manipur, we also came across empty
jeeps and trucks going towards Palel , so we asked the
military drivers for lifts.

At last we found ourselves in Palel, where it was raining
continuously and we spent the night there. The following
morning we were conveyed to Imphal in motor buses. We
remained here for three days.

Mrs Shaw, the lady in charge of the camp, was very kind; she
gave us substantial food -- meat side dish, soup, curry and
rice, pudding served free of charge and also clothing for
both men and women. She was really good and motherly.We were
very sorry to learn that a few weeks after we had left, the
Japanese bombed the Imphal camp and killed 50 evacuees and
Mrs. Shaw with them.

>From Imphal  we were driven to Dimapur , a railway station
120 miles by motor bus. We arrived late at night and were
served a good meal. Here I came to see letters written by my
Emily and Arnold and stuck to the board in the dining
chamber; the entire camp was flooded as it had rained the
whole day.

That same night we boarded the train and left Dimapur. We met
two gentlemen who had come from Akyab , at the railway
station; they gave me news of my daughter Sophie and her
husband. The following day we arrived at Gauhati where the
ladies -- tea planters in charge of the camp -- were very
hospitable and supplied us with tea, coffee, plantains and
biscuits.

We proceeded further and crossed the Brahmaputra in a
beautiful river steamboat and arrived at Parbatiput. We
stayed the whole day here, left at night and arrived at
Sealdah the following night at 12 a.m.

>From Sealdah  station, we were taken to Loretto House where
all the Burma evacuees were accommodated. The following
morning I got up at 5 a.m. and went to look for Mrs.
Furtado's house in McLeod Street. I met an old lady walking
out of the lane and I asked her where the Furtados were
living. She said, ``Don't trouble me. You look for them
yourself.''

The house was a big mansion, a four-storeyed building known
as Kings Chamber's. There was no signboard so I could not
find them.

I boarded a tramcar and though lots of people got in, no one
would sit next to me. Of course, I looked like a beggar as I
had been wearing the same clothes for the past 25 days from
Mawlaik to Calcutta . During the journey, I walked in heavy
rains and floods and also slept in the same clothes. I told
the passengers that I was not a beggar but a Burma evacuee
and had just arrived after trek king for 25 days. They simply
smiled, they were probably afraid that I might ask for help
so they left me alone.

The car arrived at Esplanade  in due time and I got out and
went in search of Captain O'Leary. I went up by lift to his
flat on the fourth floor and when his eldest daughter opened
the door and saw me she shouted, ``Mr D'Cruz!'' the whole
family came out and gave me a warm welcome and served me tea
and cake inside. I then learnt my daughter Emily, son Arnold
and grandson Donald were with them but Arnold was in hospital
with malaria .

Capt. O'Leary brought my luggage from the camp and also my
children and we stayed there for five days. After arrival, I
started showing signs of malaria , this continued for five
days. Then Mrs. Furtado took us to her house and I was
treated at her place by Dr. Braganza Cunha. Mrs.  Furtado
nursed me back to health.

While in Calcutta  I came to know that my Sophie had arrived
from Akyab with her husband and children and had proceeded to
Nagpur, leaving a note for me. I wired her of our arrival and
she wired back asking us all to come to Nagpur. Thus we came
here on May 15, 1942.

Our passage all along was paid by the government, including
the travelling expenses of all members of my family and the
servant.  Even after arrival here, the W.V.S. (Women's
Voluntary Services ) ladies committee showed us so much
hospitality and kindness and visited us frequently bringing
gifts for the young people. I must mention here that Mrs.
Registrar has been exceptionally kind to all evacuees in
Nagpur. May God bless her and all members of the committee.

ABOUT A.J. DE CRUZ: [This essay was originally published in
`Sloreata Saligao ' which featured ``Profiles of Eminent
People of Saligao'', and was written by the late C. Hubert
D'Souza.]

When a man with hardly any education, no financial backing
and no influential parents, relatives or friends to help him
can by his own intelligence, personal efforts and
perseverance rise to the high position of a Presidency Post
Master of one of the largest provinces of India , Bengal of
the early nineteen twenties, it shows the innate potential,
talents and character of which he is made.

Antonio Joao DeCruz was born in Saligao
on May 7, 1868, and had his early
education at the parish church school,
where he learnt his reading, writing, a
little arithmetic, and of course music,
both to sing straight from the score and
to play the violin.

With no one to guide and help him and his inborn love for
music, he completed his studies under the village music
master and decided to proceed further in his musical career
with the ambition of every boy of his day, to earn his living
in the profession of a violin ist. He then joined the music
classes of Maestro Francis Salvador Campos, an outstanding
musician, teacher and composer of music of his time.  It was
Maestro Campos who discovered his talent in music with a
couple of other boys his age, and made him into a first class
violin ist.

With a view to continue his scholastic studies, he joined St.
Xavier's High School in Bombay and plodded upto the VI
standard, when his financial resources earned by occasional
playing at dances, and giving tuitions in the violin ran out
and it became necessary for him to really earn his living so
as to be independent.

We next find him in Rangoon  Burma in 1888 where, due to his
violin playing, he attracted the attention of the English
Presidency Postmaster of that city, who asked him to give
tuitions to his son. Finding that the income earned would be
insufficient for him, he asked De Cruz to join the postal
department as an unpaid probationer.

This was the beginning of his career which gave him
opportunities of working in leave vacancies and earning a
little income and supplementing this by playing the violin at
dances, soires and the like, and giving further tuitions in
music and violin .

With a determination to succeed and overcome his poverty, he
really educated himself and gradually rose to be Office
Superintendent of the Postmaster General, Burma. In due
course, with the vast amount of experience gained in various
sections of the post office, he was promoted to be the Deputy
Postmaster of Rangoon City General Post Office.

As Burma and India  were then under one postal service, he
was then transferred to the post of Deputy Presidency Post
Master Calcutta , then Postmaster Lucknow and then finally
back again to Calcutta as Presidency Postmaster.  From this
post he retired in 1923, after earning a four figure salary,
which in those days was fantastic and equivalent to many
times its worth to-day.

After retiring, he went back to Burma where he had raised a
family of six god-fearing children, all well settled in life
in their professions and marriage.

With the Japanese bombing in Burma in 1941, he had the misfortune
to lose one of his sons who, with his whole family, were wiped
out by a direct bomb hit on his house. He had therefore to trek
 back with the remaining members of his family through the
Chindwin territory of Upper Burma, where his eldest son was a
District Medical Officer, through Imphal, Assam and Calcutta.

He never went back to Burma again, but settled with some of
his family members in Nagpur wher he died on April 5, 1959.

Because of his music, he was extremely popular and as a
violin ist at concert parties at Government House and took
part in many musical soires. He was fair and had an
attractive personality, which, combined with his deep
knowledge and humorous nature, made him a popular figure even
in his old age.

His eldest son Victor, after being a Lieutenant Colonel in
the military service during the war in Burma, became the
Chief Medical Officer of the Kachin State of Burma and later
an Assistant Director of Medical Services of that country on
his reversion to civil service. His second son who had joined
the Forest Service was the Forest Officer of the Andaman
Islands in the Bay of Bengal.

------------

GRANDPA D'CRUZ'S AND AUNTY WINNIE'S DIARY OF THE TREK Dec 23,
1941, 10.10 a.m.: Air raid siren sounded. Rangoon bombed at
10.28 a.m.  Jumped into trench and later drove to Pazundaung
Police Station after the all clear siren . A couple of
hundred of evacuees are with us.

Dec 23, 1941, 1.30 p.m.: Arnold brings news of Eddie's death.
The bomb fell directly on their house in Thompson Street
 killing Connie, Winsome, Connie's mum, the baby Connie was
expecting, and the Karen nanny. Eddie is crushed and survives
till he reaches the hospital.

Dec 23, 1941 (Evening): We move to 10, Ady Road Kokine  --
Sunny Sequeira's house. It's like home with the Sequeira's,
Machados, Biddy and Julie.

Jan 4, 1942: Emily, Donald, Bert and Muriel move to Mawlaik
to Victor's place.

Jan 7, 1942: Winnie and I leave for Mawlaik leaving Arnold,
Robert and Yeriah at 52nd Stree t with our papers and a few
articles from our house.

Jan 13, 1942: Arrived at Mawlaik  after spending a night at
Dr. Craen's place (Monywa ). Then we left by ferry for
Mawlaik . The Japs have bombed Mandalay and they plan to bomb
Monywa , so we register ourselves to be evacuated to India .

March 1942: Robert and Arnold try to get our house papers and
valuables from the bank, but the bombing is continuous. Later
they manage to get them, thanks to H. Kelly. Arnold tries to
get away to Mawlaik by car. The railway station has been
bombed out of existence. Arnold and Yeriah leave by car for
Prome, Magwe, Yenangyuang, Mandalay, Sagaing and Mawlaik and
arrive safely, doing the last journey by ferry.

Robert leaves by sea for Akyab  to be with his mother. Guha's
son (Guha's father is a teacher in Caraciol's School) informs
him at Dacca that Sophie, Noreen and Patsy are living on a
boat on the river at Chittagong. He then helps them on to
India and finally they land at Domnic Nazareth's house
(Carey's brother-in-law).

April 7, 1942: 50 evacuees  leave for Yuwa in small paddle
boats arriving there at 4.30 p.m. Stayed at camp with
sleeping accommodation and food provided by the Government.

Early April 1942: Ida's (Victor's wife) name is not on the
list of those who can leave, so Grandpa begs two American
ladies to take her with them. They are professional nurses.
They agree and take care of her even carrying her in a chair
at the camp. Ida is expecting (Gladys) and at Gauhati ,
Imphal , Ida takes bad but recovers and the two missionaries
proceed with her to Calcutta . They put her on a train for
Bombay and wire her brother, Lawrie Sequeira to meet her.

(From Carey's diary): Sometime end of April or beginning of
May, whilst I was searching the train full of evacuees , I
hear someone call out to me, and it's Ida. She's very ill but
she wants to go on to Bombay. (Gladys is born on June 25, and
Ida dies July 9.)

April 10, 1942: Left by punting boats and arrived at B.B.C.Camp
at Yenanggi .

April 11, 1942: Arrived at Tilangwa. Every 12 miles there
were camps providing food (rice and dahl cooked) and a place
to sleep.

April 12, 1942: Left Tilangwa  and arrived Hlezeik on 15th
after completing 35 miles of walking. Good camp facilities.
Camp is on a high plateau.

April 17, 1942: Left for Tamu  walking. Bags are sent by
bullock cart. I [grandpa] leave in a truck loaded with
bamboos. The camp has no arrangements but we climb the hill
and ease ourselves there.

April 18, 1942: Emily, Donald and Arnold join a walking batch
and the Naga coolies carry us in a `doolie'. It's all uphill.
Muriel has cerebral malaria so used the `doolie' first day,
then I used the `doolie'. We have to pay for it. Bertram and
Winnie and I walk six miles with Dr. and Anne Menezes and
reach Middleton's camp. This is all uphill. We rest.

April 23: We left Lockaw , reached Kongkang and bought a
goat. We, campmates, celebrate our escape from Burma.

April 25: Left Thingapal  and arrived Palel on Indian
 boarder. It was raining heavily and the military truck
helped us along the way.

April 27: Arrived at Imphal  by bus. The tea planters' wives
made us welcome, giving us warm clothes and good food. We
left by train and then by bus for Dimapur. Here we got a
letter from Sophie that she and the family have left Akyab .

April 28: We arrive at Pandy  by train at 12.30 a.m. This is
on the Brahmaputra . At Gauhati we get a letter from Sophie
asking us to come to Nagpur . Thank God they are safe. We
leave at 3 p.m. and cross the Brahmaputra by boat arriving at
Amengoan at 6 p.m.

April 29: Arrive at Prabatipur  by train at 10 a.m. then we
leave for Calcutta .

April 30: Arrive in Calcutta  at midnight and are taken to
the refugee camp at Loretto House .

May 1: I go in search of Furtado's house. No one is ready to
show me the way. People shy away from me in the tram. I am
wearing the same clothes, for the last 25 days during the
trek. Later I meet up with Capt O'Leary, who takes us to his
house.  Emily, Donald and Arnold have reached before us and
they are with them. Arnold is in hospital with a bout of
malaria . Sophie wires us at Loretto House to come on to
Nagpur . We shift to Furtado's house. I am very ill but with
the doctor's treatment I am getting better. Donald and Muriel
leave for Nagpur, on May 3.

May 14: We -- Emily, Bertram, Winnie, Arnold and myself --
leave for Nagpur .

May 15: The last batch of evacuees have arrived. We are all
safe, thanks be to God.

[FOOTNOTE: Songs of The Survivors is available in bookshops in Goa and
Austin's Saligao Supermarket, at Rs 295.]

--
Frederick Noronha http://fn.goa-india.org Ph +91-832-2409490
Links from Goa: http://goalinks.livejournal.com/

Campaign for real beauty : watch this film. Talk to your daughter
before the beauty industry does ::
http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/home.asp