I'm going to ask a question that I don't understand the details to (MX
records, etc)...so bear with me.

Under SMTP for Win2k I enter a Smart Host of smtp-relay.y.z.  That address
is a MX record in DNS which resolves to either mail1.y.z or mail2.y.z.  I am
not sure how it chooses which to resolve to, but I was assured that if one
was down the other would handle the traffic.  However, smtp-relay.y.z is
unpingable and doesn't actually resolve to anything.

nslookup
 set type=any
 smtp-relay.y.z

Server:  relay-north.y.z
Address:  xx.xx.xx.xx
smtp-relay.y.z       MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail2.y.z
smtp-relay.y.z       MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mail1.y.z

Setting smtp-relay.y.z as the Smart Host in SMTP under IIS works fine.
However, in SA, Setup, SMTP I can't use this address.  I must use either
mail1.y.z or mail2.y.z (both pingable) for mails to send properly (which, of
course, doesn't have any redundancy).  Am I doing something wrong?