Why don't you have script that constantly pings the gateway and if it can't ping the gateway it will shut the salive service down.  I think it could be down with a simple batch file:

:start

Ping <gateway> -n 1 | find /I "TTL"

If not errorlevel 1 goto start

Net stop SALIVE

Ping <gateway> -n 1 | find /I "TTL"

If not errorlevel 1 goto restart

Goto end

:restart

net start SALIVE

goto start

:end

You could get a utility to have it pause for 5 minutes also