DJ> Dirk,

DJ> What is the relationship between groups, dependecies and the order of checks?

You can use both dependencies & groups - it's just that your
dependencies are constrained by group.  For example, you can't have an
item in one group dependent on an item in another group.

I solve that by duplicating a few of my checks in each group - for
example, the monitoring box's internet connectivity is a check in all
groups, and if that goes down, then the internet-based checks don't
all send me messages.

In my humble opinion, groups are best used for cities or datacenters -
for example, my local checks are one group, and then I've got a
different group for each datacenter that I'm monitoring.  Makes it a
lot easier to visualize where the problems are, and managers can see
at a glance that their particular datacenter is okay.

--
BrentO
Famous Last Words: "Absolutely."