Interesting idea!  You could do it with an ASP web template pretty
easily.  You can add the below code to an existing template, or add a
new one with just this code, which checks to see if the template has
been updated in the last 15 minutes:

<%
Dim intMinSinceLastCheck
intMinSinceLastCheck = DateDiff("n", "<sa_currentshortdate>
<sa_currentshorttime>",NOW())
If intMinSinceLastCheck > 15 then
        Response.Write("ServersAliveDown - has not checked in " &
intMinSinceLastCheck & " minutes!")
else
        Response.Write("ServersAliveOK - last check was " &
intMinSinceLastCheck & " minutes ago.")
End If
%>

Just make sure the template is generated with an ASP extension, not
HTML.  When the template is built by SA, the source code will look like
this (with the current date instead of 10/22/2003 15:09, of course):

<%
Dim intMinSinceLastCheck
intMinSinceLastCheck = DateDiff("n", "10/22/2003 15:09",NOW())
If intMinSinceLastCheck > 15 then
        Response.Write("ServersAliveDown - has not checked in " &
intMinSinceLastCheck & " minutes!")
else
        Response.Write("ServersAliveOK - last check was " &
intMinSinceLastCheck & " minutes ago.")
End If
%>

Then with your second, free edition, you can do a url check on this
template.  It should always say "ServersAliveOK", but if it doesn't,
then you know to alert.

If you've got any questions on it, feel free to let me know.

Brent Ozar - UniFocus
"Aluminum to me,
 aluminium to some
 You can shine like silver all you want