I believe that some of the main snmp settings are in the docs for the
groupwise monitor utility.

Another thing you can also do is have Salive login to the groupwise web
monitor and look for specific text.

John Carter
Senior Network Systems Programmer
IT Services
Indiana Purdue University Ft. Wayne
2101 Coliseum Blvd
Ft. Wayne  IN  46805
260 481-5473
260 481-4152 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/14/2003 2:02:35 PM >>>
Thanks for the wonderful help. I'll get with the GW admin and see if we
can start using any of this.

Also, I just happened to look at the server with SNMP, and I see quite
a few entries for the POA, GWIA, and MTA. Do you have any experience in
which of these SNMP entris might be useful?

Mike

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/14/03 01:14PM >>>
Michael,

Here is what I check, but you'll have to check somethings with your
configuration. First, few details for my configuration so you can
understand and compare with yours.

I have 3 post offices and they use port 1677 to communicate with users
and port 7100 to communicate with the MTA. Next, the MTA use port 7102
to communicate with the post offices. My GWIA (GroupWise Internet
Access) uses SMTP (obviously) and port POP3.

My checks are:
 - for each post offices:
     - tcp / port connector/ 1677
     - tcp / port connector/ 7100
 - for the MTA
     - tcp / port connector/ 7102
 - for the GWIA
     - tcp / SMTP
     - tcp / POP3
 - other GroupWise components (Async gateway, API server gateway) are
checked using an external program  that test if the NLM is loaded on the
server.

Okay - I admit that testing if the NLM is loaded does not prove that
the services it offers are working properly, but this is much simpler
this way.

Depending how you configured your links (check nwadmin32), transferts
between post offices and MTA can be done via UNC path or TCPIP ports. So
the checks you'll use will depend on your configuration.

Serge

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2003-11-14 11:40:46 >>>
Ok, well, what I know about Groupwise I can count on the thumb of one
hand. I do ralize that is is several components. I'd say that management
is looking to test "all" of it. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
What winsock checks do you use?

Mike

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/14/03 11:26AM >>>
Michael,

I monitor my GroupWise servers in many ways. Can you be more specific
on what you want to check?

For some GroupWise components (GroupWise API server), I wrote a program
that verify if the NLM is loaded. I use standard winsock checks for the
other composants (MTA, POA, SMTP, ...).

Serge

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2003-11-14 09:37:19 >>>
I have a Groupwise mail server that needs checking. BUT...

Since it treats internal emails in a separate process from external
emails, doing the mail checks from inside my 4 walls only checks the
internal portion.

Does anyone have experience in how to set up a series of checks that
could be created to properly check all 4 parts of the email system? The
SA box will be internal to the Groupwise server, but 3rd party email
accounts can be set up to forward emails to and from and through.

Thanks!!!

Michael Shook
Business Continuity Analyst
Saddle Creek Corporation
723 Joe Tamplin Industrial Blvd
Macon GA  31217
478 742 8740 ext. 105 (work)
478 256 9318 (mobile)
478 742 7917 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.saddlecrk.com

To unsubscribe from a list, send a mail message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]