I use Track-IT! 5.0 Standard in my office. I didn't set it up, but from what I can tell it comes with a small program called Track-IT Receive which will monitor a MAPI mailbox for incoming mail at given intervals. When it detects new mail, it will create a new work order and assign the work order to the default user (usually a manager who then re-assigns it to the appropriate resource).

I don't know how much of this can be customized, and I have been disappointed with Track-IT's lack of flexibility. They have a few different levels of products. You could see what is available in, say their enterprise edition.

Our shop is small enough that we made the Track-IT email box hidden and added it to a distribution list which also includes all of the IT staff... oh wait, that's just me. Of course, when a help desk request is sent, I get a copy, because I'm on the DL. When we had more people, we had to communicate about who was responsible for responding.

Nate