From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Kevin Stone
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Check Version of Symantec anti virus definitions

The original request was to return the version.  A web page, the Response
column in the console, or the %e variable in email will show that.

If you want more...

The event log shows the version that was downloaded, you could then compare
the check result with the versions on the Symantec download
site(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html) using ASP,
PHP, or Perl.

The one problem with using the event log is that the COM check only returns
results on log entries that have occurred since the last check cycle.  This
means that one the next cycle after a result you will not get a result.
Great for alerting but not for reporting.

I think Robert's file method is more useful but would require touching each
system you want to monitor.  In my environment that won't scale, for a few
systems it should be fine.

-Kevin