A lot of the answers are in the list archive...

If you are adding entries via the GUI you do not need to restart.  The only
time I add/change via the hosts file(it is an unsupported method) is when
I'm doing it in bulk.

When you use TS you are running a separate instance of the desktop.
Starting SA in this case is starting a new application.  The service is
still running on the console.  You can edit via the gui from the console,
using TS on Win2k3 with the /console switch, or use something like VNC that
show the actual console not a remote desktop.

The question about "stateful" statistics comes up a lot but I don't see the
value in it.  What should SA do with the missing time periods?  If the state
is kept from the last check cycle(assume up) and after the restart it is
down should SA assume that it was up the entire time SA was offline?  It's a
tricky question that I don't think anyone has a clear answer for.  Dirk may
have more ideas.

What kind of statistics reporting are you looking for?  System uptime? # of
cycles up or down?  When I need reports I usually pull the data from the log
files or the database entries.  Jack
Lyons(http://www.lyonsonline.net/jack/Projects/) has some scripts that might
help.

What are you doing that you add so many entries a day?  Is it possible to
schedule the additions at midnight so there is one restart and you have 23+
hours of statistics?  At least it would provide a consistent set of numbers.
Will this be continuous or just while it's being set up?

-Kevin