From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin Stone
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:02 AM
To: salive@woodstone.nu
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Major product checks missing?

I am also at ~1500 checks and could add 3-500 more.  Every couple of months I ping Dirk about threads and parallel checks.  My understanding is a complete rewrite of the check code with a set of new tools would be required.  I don't know how many of the SA community are or could be in the 1000+ check range and if it would be worth the development cost.  That, of course, is Dirk's decision.

To mitigate the cycle times I've done many of the same things.  Lower priority checks happen less often, I've lowered the timeout on pings, reduced the number of web pages generated etc.  I also made a change in the registry to lower the "PerItemCycle" value.  This made a huge difference on my system.

SA works extremely well in our environment despite our pushing it beyond its normal scope.  A comment was made to me the other day that my monitoring system(based on SA, Kiwi tools, and PHP) is much easier to use and more informative than the corporate Concord system.  That's a testimony to the usefulness built into SA.

-Kevin