From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chris Mang
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:21 PM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: [SA-list] Output, logging, alerting, and checking issues (oh my!)

I'm having a few issues with my SA v6.0.256 running on a Windows 2000 server.

1) My HTML Output is not updating automatically.  It will update manually (by
clicking the Generate button in Setup).  Restarting the server resolves this
issue for a short time.  There is no pattern for when the updating ceases.
Based on the date on the web page, it was last updated on Friday.

2) My log file is set to Automatically change the name every day.  It worked
great until Friday (I have nice neat daily log files for every other day in
August).  The last log file is named LG070824.log, but continues to receive log
information from SA, based on the size and current date on the file.

3) Alerts were not sent on a item that went down last night.  The alerts are
the same for this item as other items that went down as well.  See #4 for more
information

4) Some, but not all, of my items are not being checked.  The last time the
unchecked items were checked was Friday.  The unchecked items are not on
maintenance.  The schedules on these items are all green.  The schedules on
alerting are all green.  If I right click on any of the unchecked items, it
tells me the items were last checked on Friday at 2:43 AM.  The log file shows
the item was checked AFTER Friday until 9:56 AM.  Then the check doesn't show
up in the log until Tuesday at 8:00 pm where it logs a DOWN condition (note
item #3 - no alert was sent)  SA continues to cycle based on the status bar at
the bottom of the window, but continues to skip over the unchecked items.

Observant folks would ask "What happened on Friday?"  I added a few alerts,
then did a manual save of the configuration file.  Note that the HTML Output
issue was happening sporadically before Friday.  I also had another issue with
Alerts not sent on a down item, but I attributed that to an invalid team in the
alert list.

Here's the log file entries for the item in question above (#3 and 4)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:59:56 PM Item Name Removed

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:59:56 PM PING DEBUG: thpingstart (just before actual
ping) for UID= 1576 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:59:56 PM PING DEBUG: thpingstart (just before after
ping) for UID= 1576 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:03 PM PING DEBUG: event start for ID= 0 pingID=
790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:03 PM PING DEBUG: thpingEnd for ID= 0 pingID=  790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:03 PM Item Name Removed failed due to a
successrate of only 0%
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:03 PM PING DEBUG: REMOVE for ID= 0 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:03 PM PING DEBUG: REMOVED for ID= 0 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:26 PM DEBUG: entry_thr_check_pre  790- 1576--999
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:26 PM Item Name Removed
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:26 PM PING DEBUG: thpingstart (just before actual
ping) for UID= 1576 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:26 PM PING DEBUG: thpingstart (just before after
ping) for UID= 1576 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:33 PM PING DEBUG: event start for ID= 0 pingID=
790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:33 PM PING DEBUG: thpingEnd for ID= 0 pingID=  790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:33 PM Iten Name Removed failed due to a
successrate of only 0%
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:33 PM PING DEBUG: REMOVE for ID= 0 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:33 PM PING DEBUG: REMOVED for ID= 0 pingID= 790
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:50 PM Check cycle starts ( 1374- 1374)
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:00:50 PM DEBUG: entry_thr_check_pre  782- 1562--999

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Chris Mang>>
ITG Security Administrator

JDA Software Group, Inc.

If you use auto-responders (like out-of-the-office messages), then make sure
that they are not send to the list nor to the individual members of the list
that send a message. Doing this will get you removed from the list.