====
This is the same error that shows up in the log:
====
Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:39:48 External COM check (W00000025,145):ERR:
Connect error to server XXXXX: Object reference not set to an instance of an
object.(at  190)
====

I changed my server's name to XXXXX. I tried both the fully qualified domain
name and just the computer name and had the same result.

I didn't see anything in any logs on the target machine.

Ian Burns

From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:sal...@woodstone.nu] On Behalf Of
Dirk Bulinckx
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:55
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: [SA-list] SQL server COM check (SMO) available (in beta)

The SQL server checking that is in Servers Alive is based on SQL DMO.
Microsoft "decided" that in SQL2005 (and newer) DMO is by default no longer
available :-(
(there is an add-on pack with DMO for SQL2005 however)

We got several requests for a new/updated SQL SERVER checker that uses the new
SQL SMO objects.  So as we do listen to our users :-) we decide to make such a
checker.  A first beta build of this new COM check (that uses SMO) is available
from http://www.woodstone.nu/soft/beta/setup_sqlcom.exe
(http://www.woodstone.nu/soft/beta/setup_sqlcom.exe)
If you can do some testing with it, then please do so and let us know how the
testing goes (don't forget to include towards what type of SQL server you're
doing your tests).

Dirk Bulinckx

they are not sent to the list nor to individual members. Doing so will cause

they are not sent to the list nor to individual members. Doing so will cause