A while back I began experiencing issues with SA Alerts sent via "Alpha Paging
- SMS" failing to send.  When this first began to fail was not long after
Verizon acquired AllTel's network, so I assumed that was the issue.  Now that
I've finally gotten time to try and troubleshoot this, I'm not having any luck
even after switching to Verizon's TAP number and their settings.  There aren't
any errors showing up in the SA logs, the far-end modem seems to answer,
although Verizon's suggested tests using Hyper Terminal don't return the
expected results on two different computers.  Does anyone else use TAP to
Verizon's 866-823-0501 number with any success?

Verizon's documentation shows these settings:

Dial-up number: 866-823-0501
The ID/Mobile number should be 10 digits
Baud Rate = 300 - 19200 (Recommended: 2400)
Data Settings = 7, even, 1
Message Length = 160 characters
Data Compression = Off
Wait to connect time = 60 seconds