it shows that for some reason the "ID" of the person isn't converted to the
username.  I'll have to check why (based on the files you send me)

From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:salive@woodstone.nu] On Behalf Of
ian.g...@okieurope.com
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 4:32 PM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Problem with new user management

Some development - I realised that the failed check wasn't appearing in the
event log because it wasn't set to audit failed login attempts (doh!).

So, having enabled that, I've done two further tests. Note - this is on a
Windows 2003 server, with a check for an NT service that works whether I use
the in-check userid or the centralised person ID, and also two Perfmon checks
which work with the in-check ID, but not with the person ID.

First, I used the in-check userid, but with a deliberately wrong password. That
showed up in the event log as:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
Username: <name blanked for security>
Domain: <domain blanked for security>

Then I used the SA person ID. That showed up slightly differently in the event
log:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
Username: (PID=57)
Domain:

I have no idea what that tells us!

Ian

Ian K Gray
OEL IS - European Infrastructure Support
Tel: +44 1236 502661
Mob: +44 7881 518854
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit