From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:salive@woodstone.nu] On Behalf Of
Bob Hartung
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:15 PM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: [SA-list] Folder/File Monitoring

Recently we had an email account on our mailserver compromised. Some spammer
had managed to get the password for an account and a flood of outbound emails
(50,000+) were in our mail queue before I was alerted about the problem. This
has happened to us a couple of times and it's remarkable how fast things get
unmanageable. At some point late the night before, the SPAM spigot was turned
on and by the time I got to the office, the mailserver had ground to a halt.

Our mailserver uses a \queue directory for outbound emails with individual
directories under \queue for each user account. Normally, this queue should be
empty or close to empty if everything is operating normally.

I'd like to setup a monitor in SA that would watch the overall size of the
queue directory and when a threshhold is exceeded, send a warning email. I have
used File Properties check before but the documentation says it is
non-recursive so it would not be able to check the entire directory structure.

Is there any other technique we could use to monitor a directory structure?

Bob Hartung, Dir of I.T.
Wisco Industries, Inc.
736 Janesville St.
Oregon, WI 53575
Tel: (608) 835-3106 x215
Fax: (608) 835-7399 e-mail: bhartung(at)wiscoind.com
website: www.wiscomade.com

they are not sent to the list nor to individual members. Doing so will cause

No virus found in this message.