Hi Jonathan,

Two things to consider:

1.      NTFS rights on the drive/folder (i.e. C:\)

2.      Rights on the network share (i.e. \\SERVER\C$)

Local admins have sufficient rights on both levels, as you already knew.

I suppose “Backup Operators” or “Network Configuration Operators” could
help you out, didn’t test it though.

I understand the concern of DBA/Network admin. Just guessing that the Service
Account you mentioned is just a simple account with “password never
expires” and used for running Servers Alive service. Personally I use a
“Managed Service Account”.  That’s a special type of account in AD
version 2008R2 (and up), see
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560633(v=ws.10).aspx
(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560633(v=ws.10).aspx).  A
Managed Service Account still has to be member of the Local Admins group.  The
advantage is that it changes its password every 30 (I think) days and modifies
the service automatically.

Maybe your DBA can agree with that.

Finally: the problem is not related to Servers Alive.  I advise you to test it
with:

-         logon to the Servers Alive server with your Service Account  (can’t
do that with a Managed Service Account, because nobody knows its password)

-         Type “dir \\SERVER\C$” at a CLI prompt

Kind regards,

Pieter