On 19 Sep 98, at 21:19, Robert van der Veeke wrote:

> Hi
>
> I bought a seccond HD today (540MB, just 100 Dutch guilders, cheap?), and
> now i want use it with my first HD (204MB), but a small problem is rising,
> driving me to a point where I am going to say foul words.
>
> How the hell do i set both drives, a master and a slave, how do i set the
> jumpers and wich one is first on the cable and who goes next. Both drives
> are Seagates, and in working order.

It Depends on whether the drives can handle master/slave combination
properly, they may not be 100% ATA complient.

The order on the cable is not an issue, the connectors are mirrored.

There are a lot of older drives, that will not work correctly in some
combinations of Ma/Sl, they are mostly sub 540 Meg (ie 240 etc)

The number of phone calls i had on the tech help line when trying to
upgrade a system with a 200Meg drive and add a 1-2Gig drive, but it
wouldnt accept it.....

I can't remember if it needed the newer drive as the Master or slave ??
hmmm, sorry.

Some drives, especially Conner (now Seagate) were designed before the
proper ATA was universal, and hence were not compatable with other make
drives on the same cable.

Generaly there three main configurations for jumpers for master and
slave:

     o o o         o o  o o o o o                       o o o o o
     o o o         o o  o o o o o           o o o o o
     | | |         |                        |
     C S M         C                        5
     S L A         D                        1

General
CS = ON = Cable Select
SL = ON = Slave
MA = ON = Master

Conner
C/D = ON = C (master) / OFF = D (slave)

Maxtor
20/51 = ON = Master / OFF = Slave

It may be worth looking on Seagate's WEB pages for the spec on you
actual Model No., it should give details of the pin-outs & jumpers.

--
Dean Liversidge