> Will this work with normal PS/2 type mice as well?  If so then would it
> be easy to make a 9-pin -> PS/2 converter with said extra wire?

Nope - the RS232 mice run off +12v and -12v (well, 12ish..) but
the PS/2 mice run of +5v, 0v. Also, the PS/2 mouse communicates
synchronously (whereas RS232 is asynchronous)

> 1. Is it a just replacement for the 'mdriver' mouse driver, or will it
> work with any mouse applications

Any application which uses the driver that came on the disc with the
SAMCo mouse interface should work. Any software that reads the hardware
directly (by doing 8 reads in quick succession), won't work.
I actually made a device once that made a PC mouse hardware compatible
on the SAM -- but it used quite a few chips. I think I could cut that
down to just three or four chips, if there's enough interest - and
it would be cheaper than the SAM Mouse to build, too (much smaller
PCB - could easily be soldered internally).

Things like FLASH and SAMPaint should be fine, I'd guess....

> This coupled with the PC Keyboard I/F would make moving my Sam into a PC
> case a lot more attractive.

I dunno if anyone is actually interested in having one, but I've now
designed (on paper) the pcb for my PC keyboard interface - I've just
got to put it into EASY-PC now. It's a quite small pcb, and it fits
between the 256K expansion and the right-hand disc drive - being attached
by one of the screws that hold the trapdoor in place, and one sticky
pad. It should need twenty or so solder points - but not very fiddly
ones.

> Speaking of which, I remember seeing a bloke at the (now one before) last
> show - he had his mounted in a mini-tower.
>
> How many things are left for a complete metamorphosis?

I think mounting the disc drives could be a bit of a bugger - it
might be possible to use a PC disc dirve lead, but I think a new
small pcb to hold the VL1772 might be necessay. Also, since the
SAM drives are slimline, how easily would they mount, and how
good would they look, in a PC drive bay?

Andy