[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 30/10/98  09:13:50, you write:
>
> >I think the 1772 is a generally improved version of the 1770, with
> >new head stepo rates - I think the 1770 was 6ms, 12ms, 20ms, and 30ms,
> >whereas the 1772 is 2ms, 3ms, 6ms and 12ms. Or something like that.
>
> Also, IIRC, the 1770 only handled single density drives.
> >
> >I think the 1770 and 1772 are pin compatible, but if you can't
> >get hold of a 1772, then you ain't gonna get a 1770!
>
> Very true.
> >
> >When I've asked about tweaking the DOS for a new controller before,
> >the response seems to have been that it is impossible.... but
> >I can't believe it's too tricky for some dedicated hacker.
>
> The 1772 family does things rather differently than the current generation of
> chips. It would not be impossible, but it would be hard work - especially in
> getting a system that enabled existing 'protected' software to work.
>
> However, all may not be lost. The full secrets of the 1772 are available in
> the Tech manual, so I think it would be easier to use a small interface card
> to 'translate' between the DOS (with its 1772 commands) and some other
> controller. This is down as one of the projects for the SAMSON.
> >
> >Talking of the DOS, we've got both the ROMs and MASTERDOS source
> >files on the ftp site... but not SAMDOS2. Any reason why not?
>
> It does not exist any more. Mr Gordon lost it, along with several other
> valuable items :(

Nice to see you not using the long sig on the mailing list Bob :)

Question for Bob.... How far is this disk controller interface from
construction? As the disk chip is one of the hardest parts for us to
obtain for the SAM?

And as I said before, can any of the previous chips listed above be used
in any extent?

David