On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 10:45:44AM +0100, Lee Willis wrote:
> Well it's entitled to, as far as HTML 3.2 is concerned </p> tags are not
> necessary and shouldn't be used to force breaks

Well, no, but it's valid HTML and if it works then what the hey.

> This paragraph
> <hr>

> Which you should be using to force the space.

No.  One of the very first style guides I read (probably back at HTML 1)
said explicitly "don't write <p><hr>".  You can't guarantee that any
particular browser will add a blank line.  The <hr> tag implies the end
of the paragraph - how can a horizontal line be part of a paragraph?  So
what you've written there is a paragraph with no text in it - I don't know
whether that's valid HTML but if it is then the browser is completely at
liberty to ignore the empty paragraph.

imc