On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:52:47PM +0100, Andrew Collier wrote:
> Please download that file from the website, on as many different platforms
> as possible, and tell me whether or not they work.

Well if you put it on a server that's actually up at weekends it might help...

I did get to contact it during the week to ask it what type it
thought the disk file was, and I believe it said the type was
application/x-gzip with no encoding, which I have reproduced at
<http://ruby.comlab.ox.ac.uk/test/test.dsk.g> (that's right,
the name doesn't end with gz).  The other way that the server
might serve the file is as type application/octet-stream with
encoding x-gzip, which I have reproduced at the same location
with the single letter z added to the name.  The file in
question is disk which is blank except for a copy of samdos2.

The result was that Netscape 3 on Windows did not corrupt either
of them.  It did say "unknown type application/x-gzip" and
"unknown encoding x-gzip", but each file was saved properly and
could then be uncompressed and read.

I do not have WinZip, GetRight, GoZilla or any app that might
interfere with Netscape.  Just plain Netscape 3.  First time
I've used it for ages.

I also tried the (sadly rather out of date) sam-users archive,
and it did corrupt that, because the encoding x-gzip was unknown
to it and it therefore treated it as unencoded text.

imc