Simon Cooke wrote:
>From: Paul Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> > And why use it, when there is ZIP?
>>
>> 'cause tar+gzip compresses better, as a general rule.
>
>RAR, of course, has the same benefits. The reason tar + gzip compresses
>better is because ZIP treats separate files as individual compression
>blocks; rather than compressing the entire archive. For data that may be
>repeated across files, tar'ing and then gzipping the file gives better
>results.

But in SimCoupe it will (almost certainly) be used for compressing a single
.dsk/.sad file - efficiency of compression of multiple files is not likely
to be an issue...

By the sounds of it, it should be equally plausible to implement gzip or
zip support, probably?

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a