>Does anyone know where i might acquire a replacement?

I'd normally recommand Bob Brenchley at Format, but he's been rather quiet
recently and very difficult to contact. I don't know a current email
address.

>I understand that these slimline drives are not produced anymore but
>naturally still require one (or two (yum yum)) to get the thing working
>again.

It is possible to connect a more standard disk drive, but this requires
some sort of modification to the motherboard... again it would have been
Bob who sorted out that sort of thing, but perhaps someone else on the list
can give an alternative contact?

>I would also be very interested in knowing about any expansion kits.
>Such as Hard Drives, CDROMS, Joystick Splitters, External Drive interfaces
>etc...

The "Atom" internal IDE hard disk interface, was designed by (I think)
Edwin Blink, who subscribes to this list, and is sold by Persona,
http://www.persona.clara.net/

Note that Persona have temporarily paused business, due to the recent
tragic death of organizer Malcolm MacKenzie.

>And now for a zillion other questions...
>
>Was a mouse produced for the Sam or does it use some standard one?

A mouse *interface* was produced, which translates signals from an
Atari-type mouse into something the Sam can more easily understand.

>Where might i get Lemmings or any other games for the SAM?
>(On Disc for the real thing!)

Not sure about that at the moment actually. I would have said Fred, but
that fell apart some months ago. I gather Persona were going to pick up the
pieces, but no news so far.

>What games where done for the SAM?

Take a look at http://mnemotech.ucam.org/zodiac.html - the "Second Opinion"
articles are reviews of most of the early commercial Sam games.

>Has anyone got the curcuit diagram for the SAM motherboard?

IIRC schematic diagrams appeared in the technical manual.

>Is the SAA109 (I think) Memory Mapped? or if not, how is it addressed?

Using IO ports 511 (register) and 255 (value).

>Can the SAM take a standard ATARI joystick in its Joystick point (As it
>stands)?

Yes.

>Has the SAM got HARDWARE Sprites, Smooth Scrolling, raster register etc. I
>noticed that the BASIC has Smooth Scrolling commands but is this software
>driven?

No, scrolling must be implemented entirely in software.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "raster register"; it *is*
possible on the Sam to determine the current position of the TV raster
scan, and you can also set interrupts to occur at the beginning of
particular lines.

>Can one convert the Discs downloadable from the NET (Freeware ones only
>ofcourse) into real SAM discs?

Yes, it is easy to do this on a PC. Under windows use samdsk; under Linux
use dd.

I assume you're familiar with the ftp site at
ftp://ftp.nvg.ntnu.no/pub/sam-coupe/

>I have probably missed out loads of Questions, and will ask again for sure.

Feel free to ask!

Andrew

--
 --  Andrew Collier  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  --        My other
  --      http://mnemotech.ucam.org      --       .sig is a