> I downloaded some games to try on my real SAM, but on trying some of
> the GamesMaster games, I was reminded of an interesting phenomenon - on
> my MGT 256kb SAM, all GamesMaster displayed games consist of nothing but
> grey rectangles presumably where the sprites are meant to be. Is this a
> common problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it? All the games
> seem to work well in SIM.

It's a memory location thing.

>From the GamesMASTER manual:

The TOTAL GAME SIZE is the amount of computer memory used by the game, and
it is always a certain number of 16K pages, plus half a page.  This includes
a WORKSPACE, which is used for storing copies of sprites and areas of
background. (...) If it is needlessly large, you may make it impossible to
run a game developed on a 512K machine on a 256K machine, (...)

It's possible the game would run on 256K sam had this been thought about.

Have you tried reseting SimCoupe in 256K mode (hold shift, hit reset, don't
take your finger off shift until the (c) message appears.  I seem to recall
this may not help, as although the sam thinks it only has 256K, the top half
of the memory is still actually available.  Could be worth a try though.

I can't remember if we tested EGGBuM on a 256k machine.

(Aside:  A few years back I bought a 1meg expansion for my sam for roughly
twice the cost that I recently bought 64Meg for my PC)

....@/