On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 04:55:30PM +0100, Nick Humphries wrote:
> From: James R Curry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >What about JPEG with the compression level set at zero?

> Yeah, that's fine.

Actually I doubt that very much, so it's better avoided.  There *is* such a
thing as "lossless jpeg" but it's hardly ever used.

The cjpeg manual page has this to say.

     The -quality switch lets you trade off compressed file  size
     against  quality  of the reconstructed image: the higher the
     quality setting, the larger the JPEG file,  and  the  closer
     the  output  image  will be to the original input.
[snip]
     -quality 100 will generate a quantization table of all  1's,
     minimizing loss in the quantization step (but there is still
     information loss in subsampling, as well as roundoff error).
     This  setting  is  mainly  of interest for experimental pur-
     poses.  Quality values above about 95  are  not  recommended
     for  normal  use;  the compressed file size goes up dramati-
     cally for hardly any gain in output image quality.

In other words, even if you set quality to 100% the JPEG will not
be identical to the original image.

imc