Dan Dooré wrote:
> I like the idea of a new, all-encompassing disk format for
> the samcoupe.org archive (SCOA anyone?)  as it will bring
> together many disparate formats DSK/SDF/SAD etc. into one,
> but it has to be able to hold the full geometry of the disk.

One thing to remember though is that some games (eg. Parallax or Lemmings)
use different formats invented by *cough* yours truly, which the suggested
format won't actually be able to support.

This includes:

Sector addresses which do not directly correspond to their real location on
disk - eg. on track 4 you'd have a sector which had a sector ID of 10, and a
track id of 255.
(This happens in the Parallax copy protection).

Lemmings includes large storage disks (again, one of mine) with (IIRC) a
similar scheme for sector address munging. The trick is that it used 5 x
1024 byte sectors followed by 1 x 512 byte sector to fit 11k per track,
instead of the usual 10k. I think it may also have written 82 tracks. Not
sure though.

Any truly generic archive format would have to support such disks.

Simon