Andy Chandler wrote:
> > will cope with all but one SAM disk I've seen so far :-)
>
> I'm betting that was another Mr Owen creation ;-)

It's actually Chris Pile's original Defender disk, which does some gap-level
checking as part of the copy protection.  The gap information isn't stored
as part of the disk image, as it's almost never needed, and would more than
double the image size.  SimCoupe actually fakes the raw track data from
information it knows about the sectors on the current track, so it looks
pretty authentic in programs like SAM DICE.

Using a tagged disk format it would be possible to include a READ_TRACK dump
for just the one track needed, to hold the information Defender expects.
Due to the controller bug, it wouldn't be easy to write back to a real disk
using a generic image writer (unless another tag held formatting hints!).
The track data would also be enough for SimCoupe to run the protected
Defender image too, which would be an added bonus ;-)