On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:38:06 +0100 "Aley Keprt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Oh, and does it mean that I can have SAMDOS at arbitrary directory slot as
> long as its body occupies tracks 4 and 5? If you say that ROM loads directly
> track 4... :-)

The SAM ROM only loads the sector at track 4, sector 1

> Of course, it's >technically< impossible to create this kind of disk is with
> a standard SAVE command on Sam, because SAMDOS always store files at the
> lowest free tracks. (So I can't have track 4 free, and directory slot #01
> used alredy.) But I could possibly create it manually in Sam basic. What
> about creating an empty disk, make it bootable (save samdos to it), then
> read track 0 sector 1, copy first 256 bytes to the other 256 bytes, save
> back that sector, and delete original DOS file. Now there is a samdos image
> in directory slot #02, and the disk is still bootable and fully correct. Am
> I correct? :-)

No. The ROM does not have a concept of directory or files. Just that one
sector.

> Will it work?

No.

But you could put the rest of the DOS anywhere you like on the disc. Cookie
did that to "good" effect in MaxiDOS/QDOS where he put the DOS on tracks 80-82.

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebø         | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ^
| Ericsson AS           | Isebakkeveien 49                  |